Tips to Rock Your High School Senior Pictures
Most high school seniors have never experienced a professional photo session before their senior pictures. So EVERYONE feels a little awkward and nervous at first. That’s normal. Don’t worry – I’ll walk you through everything and before you know it, the jitters will be long gone.
If you book your senior session with me, Rebecca Retzer from LaTour Design, you can expect to have a fully customized session. My goal is to capture real and authentic moments. You as you are – to be able to show your personality and style. So it’s very important just to be yourself. If it will make you more comfortable to bring a family member or friend, please do so. The more people, the more laughs and real moments documented.
So what do you need to do to prepare for your senior portrait session? Glad you asked, because preparation is key. Below you will find tips and considerations to Rock your senior session and create amazing portraits.
1-3 Months Before Your Senior Pictures
First, schedule your session time. It’s best to book with LaTour Design early so you can get the date of your choice. Summer dates book fast as this is the busiest time for senior pictures. BOOK HERE
This is also a great time to search google and pinterest for ideas. What style do you like? Do you like city/urban shots? Would you like your pictures to take place in a natural setting? Start to saving some ideas you like.
2-4 Weeks Before Your Senior Pictures
There are three things to decide and consider during this time.
- Now that you had time to look at some ideas on pinterest and google, it’s time to decide and choose the location(s) for your senior portraits.
- Do you want to have props in your pictures? Maybe a sporting equipment, an instrument or a pet?
- This is the best time to decide what your wardrobe should be. I recommend picking out a few outfits – It’s better to have more than less.
The Week Before Your Senior Pictures
Your big day is almost here! It’s time to talk details and get prepared.
- Layout your clothes and choose corresponding jewelry for each outfit. Iron and then hang each outfit on a hanger with jewelry in a ziplock bag.
- If you are choosing to use props, get them clean and ready. Yes, this means give your pooch a bath if they will be part of the shoot!
- Drink lots of water and get a lot of sleep. This will help your face and skin look its best
- Ladies – If you are going to paint your nails, do it the night before to avoid any chipping or breaking
- Guys – If you are going to shave, do this the night before to prevent and skin redness
- Contact LaTour Design if you have any questions or concerns. You can also read more on what to expect here.
The Day of Your Photo Session
Whoop Whoop! This special day is finally here.
- Give yourself plenty of time to get ready. We don’t want you to come frustrated and hurried to your session.
- Make sure your hands and nails are clean, eyebrows groomed and teeth brushed. All of these little details matter when your photo will be enlarged on your families walls for years to come.
- Eat well before your senior portrait session. It’s best to bring a small snack and a water bottle.
- Ladies – Bring any makeup you would want for touch-ups, specifically power, chap stick and lip stick.
- Bring comfy shoes/flip flops for walking between locations. Depending on where we shoot, we may have to walk a bit.
- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY – Come with an open mind and positive attitude. This day will be exciting and fun – you just wait!
Please feel free to contact me with any questions on how to book or prepare for your high school senior portrait session. I’m here to help you.